E-Cat Weekly -- February 16, 2012
This past week's highlights include witnessing entrepreneur, Dick Smith,
offer Rossi $1 million if he could run a
simple, convincing demonstration of his technology. Rossi refused, calling it
"clownery". Dick then extended the offer to Defkalion, and indications
are they will accept the challenge.
Dick Smith shown prior to Wilberforce Award,
giving $1 million to a youth who shows the most "leadership in communicating an alternative to our population and consumption growth-obsessed economy."
Now Dick Smith wants to see $1 million go toward vindicating LENR
PES Network has a business relationship with Andrea Rossi.
Pure Energy Systems News
Once again we bring you a compilation of various news items about Andrea
Rossi's E-Cat that have emerged since our
February 9 compilation.
Mainstream news sources are
indicated with the yellow highlight.
- MSNBC 1
- Forbes 2
- Gizmodo 1
- EngineeringNews.co.za 1
Daily Tribune 2
- ShoreNewsToday 1
- GreenStyle.it 1
- GreenMe.it 2
- Diarrhea Poster
(mostly a waste of time, from same person)
Rossi: Almost 100,000 Domestic eCat [Pre-]Orders - A few
weeks ago the news' that Andrea Rossi's call for a 10,000 eCat
pre-order list had actually reached 50,000 was greeted with mixed
reactions. Some tried to estimate the interest in the subject by
studying site stats (such as those from eCatNews.com) feeling certain
(ECatNews; February 10, 2012)
- Duncan talks cold
fusion' at Saturday Science - If a device said to create energy by fusing common materials goes on the market this year, Rob Duncan,
University of Missouri's vice chancellor of research, told a crowd at the University of Missouri
he'll be one of the first in line. (Columbia
Daily Tribune; February 12, 2012)
Taking Calculated Risk' Building E-Cat Production Line Before
Certification - Andrea Rossi has mentioned a number of
times recently that he is in the process of building a robotized
production line to build his low-cost E-Cat heaters. He has also said
that he is in the process of applying for safety certification for the
domestic E-Cats from Underwriters Labs. A reader of the Journal... (E-CatWorld;
February 14, 2012)
& Japan eCat Licences For Sale - There seems
to be some confusion in the ranks about Rossi accepting money. While he
has indicated that he will not take it from the general public, his
intention to start business after the 28th Oct test was always loud and
clear. He often references partners and
Leonardo Corp. Now Owned By a Trust of Investors - Andrea
Rossi has just made a post in connection with the recent offer of Dick
Smith to pay a million dollars for a successful E-Cat test... It's
very interesting to see that Leonardo Corp. is now apparently owned by
an outside entity, and Rossi is apparently not fully in charge of the
company he founded. He gives no details about the organization, but
presumably there will be some kind of board of directors overseeing his
operations who he will now answer to. (E-CatWorld; February 15,
2012) (And ecatnews and
- Which is real fat cat OIL or LENR ?
- My friends. I am just gonna have some fun throwing $ numbers around so
have patience (OpEdNews; February 12, 2012)
- E-cat Scam Theories And Why They're Wrong
- It is not a secret that innovations are not usually met with much
enthusiasm. We are used to follow our ways and be content with things
and processes that we're familiar with. So it's hard to kiss them
goodbye in face of the unknown: new theories, new science or just
something out of the ordinary. (ECatReport; February 13, 2012)
Chatters - As though orchestrated by Rossi himself, the
volume of reasonable and unreasonable criticism of his claims has
intensified recently. The measure of reason will differ from person to
person and I try to steer a productive conversation by encouraging
all views even when I disagree with them. It
February 13, 2012)
- The Believer
- An analogy from the discovery of fire. (E-CatWorld; February
- Fraud claims over E-Cat 'cold fusion' machine heating up
- Australian engineer says wiring errors may be responsible for alleged 'scam'
(MSNBC; February 10, 2012)
- Questionable Attack on Rossi and Ecat attracts too much Attention
- A very amateur attack on Andrea Rossi's ecat low energy nuclear
reaction process by a couple of self-proclaimed "skeptics" that have never actually seen the device is
attracting far too much attention. The most visible example of this
attention appeared on the website of a major American cable network
called MSNBC. (ColdFusion3; February 11, 2012)
- Dick Smith Skeptical Of Alleged Cold Fusion Device
- Dick Smith wasn't about to unload $200k into the project without
giving it the once-over. He's a patron of Australian Skeptics,
after all. He approached aeronautics engineer and fellow Australian
Skeptics buddy Ian Bryce to check out device. (Gizmodo; February 12, 2012)
- Smith Offers $1 Million Prize for Successful E-Cat Demo
- New Energy Times received an e-mail
from Dick Smith, an Australian businessman. He has offered to pay
Andrea Rossi $1 million for a successful test of his device. We
don't wish to comment about Smith's offer, however, we are
providing the full text of his letter in the pdf link below. (New
Energy Times; February 14, 2012) (And e-catworld)
- E-Cat Proof Challenge: $1,000,000 is a "Clownerie"? (Updated)
- Today, Valentine's Day, 2012, Dick
Smith, an Australian entrepreneur, sent Andrea Rossi, the
inventor of the Energy Catalyzer, or E-Cat, a letter challenging
Rossi to prove that the device works as Rossi claims and
offering a prize of $1,000,000 if it, in fact, does! (Forbes;
February 14, 2012) (And coldfusion3)
Test No Money Can Buy - By now the entire online
media related to the ECat has been buzzing about the $1 million
offer Andrea Rossi received from Dick Smith, in order to do an
E-Cat re-test of the
(ECatReport; February 15, 2012)
Updated - Update at end of post. The eCat wires
are buzzing with Dick Smith's offer of $1,000,000 (US) for a
simple repeat of the March Kullander & Essen test. Made
through Steven Krivit, the offer is brilliant in its simplicity.
The shrewd announcement is counter to the last
February 14, 2012)
- Sterling Allan sent the following email to Andrea Rossi
|From: Sterling Allan
To: Andrea Rossi
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:29 PM
Subject: accept Smith's offer
I strongly encourage you to accept the offer extended by Dick Smith
It will accomplish a lot of good for the cause of LENR
- vindicate E-Cat
- silence many skeptics
- provide you with 1 million USD
If you do not accept the offer, then the skepticism will grow much stronger, including from your supporters, who do not see a valid reason to reject this offer.
Just take one of your modules, and let the named scientists (or others of your mutual choosing) test it for five hours, showing an overunity of at least 8x.
If you have what you claim to have, this should be very simple for you to accomplish.
Sterling D. Allan
Here is Rossi's response
|From: "Andrea Rossi - Leonardo Corp."
To: "Sterling Allan"
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:12 AM [MST]
Subject: Re: accept Smith's offer
I have already answered on my blog to this clownerie, and I have not
time to lose.
This clownerie fits perfectly with your greek friends.
We are working seriously, let us in peace.
I'm suggesting (and I doubt I'm the only one making such a
suggestion) to Defkalion that they should offer to take Dick Smith
up on his challenge. Defkalion is presently set up to do just such a
test. It's perfect timing.
1) save LENR from being seemingly discredited from Rossi's unfounded insults
2) give Defkalion a great credibility boost
3) bring the legitimacy of LERN into mainstream consciousness
The following relevant post was published on the Defkalion forum
by Defkalion GT on February 16, 2012; 5:04 am
|So far we have not officially received (through a telephone,
letter, fax or e-mail) any such offer published in different
sites. If the offer and the "donor" are real, we
will accept the challenge, performing a test under the
protocol we have announced in our last Press Release (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=926&start=210).
In case this is a real proposal, we will accept an official
letter and a proof of donated funds from a prime bank before
any such testing.
Also note that our first independent official tests are
starting on 24th of February 2012. No "donations" or
any money where required or offered for these independent
One source from Australia is very familiar with Dick Smith, and doesn't doubt in the least that he will make good on his offer of $1 million.
He said: "I've seen Dick Smith at a drop of a hat drop $5 million just to get others to donate to Salvation Army.
He's always doing stunts -- the Australian version of Branson. He'll be very
thorough [in his testing]."
Dick Smith Extends $1m Offer To Defkalion -
Following Andrea Rossi's refusal of Dick Smith's $1m test
offer, the Australian Businessman and skeptic has now extended
that offer to Defkalion. While a cursory check has been made on
his identity, care should be taken until it is confirmed by his
office. The offer was made
(ECatNews; February 16,
2012) (And greenme.it)
- Dick Smith phoned me (Sterling Allan) at around 3
pm MST, expressing his interest in extending this offer to
Defkalion. I recommended that he authorize one of
Defkalion's first testing groups, such as the Greek government, to test on his behalf. Also, as witnesses, he was thinking he could have those two Swedish skeptics attend; and if they collaborate the results, then
Defkalion gets the $1 million reward. I forwarded his
contact details to Defkalion.
"That would be the fantastic thing in the world"
he said, regarding the prospects of seeing something like
this vindicated, though he is skeptical that this will be
the outcome. "That would bring me immense
- Follow-up (Feb. 17,
2012; 3:45 am MST) - Defkalion responded favorably. Dick
Smith (by phone to me) said he would prefer a shorter test,
e.g. 6 hours, which his scientific advisors say would be
adequate to rule out a chemical reaction. He is suspicious
of 48h x 2 tests, which no one person could watch
continuously, opening the possibility of subterfuge, though
he would not rule out agreeing to such a long test. He'll be
out until Tuesday, when discussions will continue. --
- Yes! Updated
- Contains posts from Dick Smith to their forum. (ECatNews;
February 17, 2012)
- Rossi Responds to Australian E-Cat Critique
- Last month we reported how Dick Smith, an Australian entrepreneur and
member of the Australian Skeptics group had promised to give $200,000 to
the Byron New Energy Charitable Trust if he can be convinced that the
E-Cat was a valid technology.... (E-CatWorld; February 12, 2012)
- Report #4: Rossi's NASA Test Fails to Launch
- New Energy Times obtained this story as it took place;
however, in an agreement with NASA, New Energy Times agreed to
embargo the story until 2012. (NewEnergyTimes; February 10, 2012)
- Other Cold Fusion Competitor News
(Typically also mention E-Cat)
- news from Defkalion: http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energi_miljo/energi/article3391463.ece
Will Have Seven Well-Known Labs Test LENR Device - Independent confirmation of Low Energy Nuclear Reaction or Cold Fusion could be right around the corner. Greece's Defkalion Green Technologies plans to have what it calls seven
"well known research centers and organizations" test its Hyperion hydrogen nickel LENR heating device.
(ColdFusion3; February 9, 2012)
Exotic FE: Nuclear
Fusion > Defkalion
from Athens found in Cold Fusion - On the heels of the
riots and building burning, I landed in Athens to visit Defkalion and
was able to see a demonstration of their test set-up for the upcoming
seven testing groups. I was also impressed by the team working with the
technology that could help bring remedy to Greece, Europe, and the
world. (PESN and BeforeItsNews;
February 13, 2012)
- Cold fusion: E-Cat of greek Defkalion almost ready for market
(Original in Italian)
- Defkalion Green Technologies continues to develop its Hyperion , a competitor of ' E-Cat by Andrea Rossi. The latest news on the progress of the Greek company's plans are by Sterling D. Allan Pure Energy Systems blogger, who went to Greece in recent days to meet the team Defkalion and see where you work.
February 16, 2012)
- Defkalion Reveales LENR Device, Licensing, Stock Plans
- Long time alternative energy enthusiast Sterling D. Allan of the Pure Energy Systems blog just traveled the company's offices in Greece to inspect their work.
Allan braved civil unrest in Greece that included riots to see the work going on there. Even though he has a close association with Andrea Rossi Allan was very impressed with Hyperion and Defkalion which is planning to begin third party testing of its device soon.
(EnergyCatalyzer3; February 15, 2012)
- A Visit To Defkalion
- Deviating from the return leg of a trip to S Africa, Sterling
Allan of Peswiki dropped in on Defkalion GT's Greek offices. His
report is worth the read. Although he did not witness any tests or
see their lab, he was able to gain an impression of a group of
competent people doing business. (ECatNews; February 14,
2012) (And nickelpower)
- General Cold Fusion
- Is low-energy nuclear reaction new physics or an old scam?
- (A survey of recent developments) It is still too early to tell
whether commercial LENR is imminent or will turn out to be a red
herring. But this story is definitely one to watch. (EngineeringNews.co.za;
February 17, 2012)
Dawn of the Energy Age Article on LENR - Mark J
Belanger, a columnist writing for South
Coast Today, a local magazine based in New Bedford,
a comprehensive article about LENR in general, and Rossi's E-Cat
in particular. He takes the view that LENR's time has come and that
Rossi's and others' devices (mentions Defkalion, NASA also) will
totally transform the energy industry. Belanger's outlook for... (E-CatWorld;
February 10, 2012)
- Billionaire helps fund MU energy research
- The founder of an apparel company has given the University of Missouri $5.5 million to study new sources of clean energy.
Sidney Kimmel, founder and chairman of The Jones Group which includes brands such as Anne Klein, Nine West and Gloria Vanderbilt donated the money through his charitable foundation.
Daily Tribune; February 10, 2012)
- PLAN X: Three Scenarios
- OK! There are a lot of very intelligent people out there who find the idea of active conspiracies, whose aim is to control and
"own" LENR energy generation delay its rollout until such time as they have devised an implemented a plan for control, and assure a military advantage for their side as
"Paranoid!" It's too late to stop it. They would never do that to us! My response is
Consider these three possible realities. (E-CatSite; February 14,
- PLAN X: The John Galt Manifold
- The responses to "Three Scenarios" has provided a number of astute and constructive ideas. Obviously starting a thought process is like starting a painting, in that the focus is on the overall pattern and not on specific details. While the stimulus for writing these articles is the advent of the LENR age, it has become clear to me that the real issue at hand...
(E-CatSite; February 14, 2012)
Billion requested by DoE; $0 for cold fusion - "The central theme of this year's budget in SC [Office of Science] is research in new technologies for a clean energy future that address competing demands on our environment," the document states.
(ColdFusionTimes; February 12, 2012)
- Cold fusion should be part of the energy equation
- Instead of government investing in Solyndra-type energy solutions,
energy research should be concentrated on the cleanest energy of all
fossil fuels, nuclear energy. Perhaps cold fusion can solve the problem
of storing unspent fuel rods virtually forever (ShoreNewsToday;
February 14, 2012)
live streaming on Cold Fusion (Original in Italian)
- I leave the player on the blog to follow the conference from here in little more than an hour's lecture Francesco Celani live streaming from Colognola ai Colli
(VE). Thursday, February 16, 2012; At 20.30; Hills Sports Hall of Colognola - Free Entry
(22Passi; February 16, 2012)
- Remember the 22nd of March: The LENR at CERN!
- I get by Francesco Celani, and the public willingly, the official launch of the colloquium, which he (INFN Frascati) and Yogendra Srivastava (University of Perugia) held at CERN on March 22 next year, from 16.30 to 17.30, in order to provide the scientific community a "review of the major progress made since March 1989 and through experimental studies (22Passi;
February 9, 2012)
# # #
This story is also published at BeforeItsNews.
What You Can Do
- Pass this on to your friends and favorite news sources.
- Click to Tweet: http://clicktotweet.com/vOWt4
- Subscribe to our E-Cat
- Purchase a 1 MW unit and/or encourage others who are able, to do so.
- Let professionals in the renewable energy sector know about the promise of
- Subscribe to our general newsletter
to stay abreast of the latest, greatest developments in the free energy
- Consider investing in Rossi or Defkalion's group.
- Help us manage the PESWiki
feature page on Rossi's technology.
PESN Coverage of E-Cat
For a more exhaustive listing, see News:Rossi_Cold_Fusion
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- November 22, 2012
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- November 15, 2012
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- November 8, 2012
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- November 1, 2012
Weekly -- October 25, 2012
Weekly -- October 18, 2012
Andrea Rossi's Black Box -- by Popular Science (PESN; October 16,
Penon High-Temperature E-Cat Test Results Posted (PESN)
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- October 11, 2012 (PESN)
Weekly -- October 4, 2012 (PESN)
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- September 27, 2012 (PESN)
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- September 20, 2012 (PESN)
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- September 13, 2012 (PESN)
2012 E-Cat Conference Report: 1 MW E-Cat Ready (PESN; September
September 9: Andrea Rossi Q&A, Panel Discussion, Interview
Gives Third-Party Test Results from Hot Cat
Weekly -- September 6, 2012 (PESN; September 6, 2012)
E-Cat Conference in Zurich (PESWiki;
August 31, 2012)
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- August 30, 2012 (PESN)
A Barrel of a Hundred High Temperature E-Cats (PESN;
August 30, 2012)
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- August 23, 2012 (PESN)
Existence of 1,200C E-Cat Test Report Confirmed (PESN;
August 22, 2012)
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- August 16, 2012 (PESN)
about Hot Cat Test Data Leaker (PESN;
August 13, 2012)
Stunning Third Party E-Cat Test Report Details Leaked During NIWeek (PESN;
August 11, 2012)
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- August 9, 2012 (PESN)
Mainstream Coverage of Fleischmann's Death Mentions Nothing of Technology Nearing Marketplace (PESN;
August 8, 2012)