Free Energy is all about freedom:
Power to the people -- literally and figuratively

"Free Energy"

• Store
- - - - - - - - - -
- Donate
- Contact

You are here: > News > March 8, 2005

Ram Implosion Wing Developments

Recent replications claim to confirm effect in which special aerodynamic shape is alleged to create an air vortex that increases vehicle mileage and decreases airflow disturbance.

Photo used with permission from Viggo Kleven of Norway

Compiled by Sterling D. Allan
Pure Energy Systems News

Robert Patterson has invented a wing structure that resembles ram's horns.  He says that when affixed to the top of a vehicle it has the effect of creating a vortex that not only decreases wind resistance, but may actually even have a propelling effect, similar to a martial arts maneuver that utilizes the force of an attacker against him.  He says, "the air is first, intercepted and then redirected and utilized in a beneficial manner, simultaneously pulling on the craft via vortex implosion and then pushing on the craft via anti-vortex geometry.  The Ram-Implo wing comprises a vortex-circuit interface with the air."

Claims of increased gas mileage have been gradually trickling in, but the claims of how the air behaves with a vehicle passing by are even more fascinating.  A vehicle with one of these wings mounted atop has been observed to not stir up nearly as much dust when going down a dirt road.  A paper bag sitting in the middle of the road is unmoved as the vehicle passes by at high speeds.

While some of these claims of hugely increased mileage are probably due to poor measurement technique, and no reports yet bespeak a rigorous testing protocol, the following compilation does convey an interesting collection of claims that the Ram Implosion Wing, invented by Robert Patterson, is worth further investigation.

"Despite the success of most researchers here which number about twelve that are currently testing the wing have all seen improved mileage from at least 10-mpg; but most have at least doubled their mileage, and a few of us have achieved 3-x our normal mileage on a limited basis. To date I have only seen 3-people that have not yet achieved any extended mileage, primarily due to lack of texturing on the wing." -- Robert Patterson (ref)

"Most people think that the wing should be smooth. WRONG!!! A smooth surface promotes laminar flow which causes the viscosity of the air to stick to objects moving through it. And in the down stream condition this viscosity turns into drag because it is stuck to the smooth surface of the object passing through it." -- Robert Patterson (ref)

"If you use the paint roller as suggested and wet the fiberglass mat with resin the one time and roll it out you're finished, and when the resin cures the matted surface will show through the resin, the matted surface works perfect for diffusion purposes, and should for all practical purposes double your current mileage." -- Robert Patterson (ref) (ref)

Recent Claims

The following is a compilation of excerpts from the ram_wing discussion list.

Rob Taffol doubles his fuel mileage on his Blazer

From: "Robert A. Patterson"
Date: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:49 am
Subject: Experimenters Update!!!

Rob Taffol has doubled his fuel mileage on his Blazer he went from 12-mpg to 24-mpg average over a 300-mile test run. He could have done better if he was able to drive above 65-mph his average was 60- mph and he even claimed higher mileage but we did an average just to tone it down a bit. Photos to follow.

Bruce Meland Sees Increased Mileage in 96 Toyota Tacoma

From: Bruce Meland []
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:16 PM
Subject: Fw: Ram Wing

I put the wing on the backend of my aerodynamic fiberglass canopy and flew to the Farm in Silverton. By that I mean I put regular gas in it raced up Suttle Lake hill at 80mph and spared no mph going down the other side of the Cascades Mountains. 150 plus miles and used 5 gals of regular gas. which is a tad bit over 30 mpg. I have never got over 30 mph the way I drive. Average about 24 mpg usually in my style driving. I could feel less resistance to air and smoother ride. I suspect it will show better results on a SUV. I have a cousin who has a Ford Excursion which we shall try in a week or so on a trip to Klamath Falls. I will find someone shortly here or some relatives in Portland that will try it out on shorter and longer trips with big SUV's. It apparently works much better at 60 plus mph. I was impressed and expected about this 20% plus efficiency on my lighter aerodynamic 96 Toyota Tacoma with streamline fiberglass canopy. More tests will follow on my Tacoma as well as SUV's.

Photo used with permission from Bruce Meland of  Electrifying Times is testing Rob Patterson's Ram Implosion Wing on various Vehicles including large SUV's such as the Ford Excursion and Explorer, Chevy Blazer ect, and will publish the results in the next issue of Electrifying Times to be out soon.

Glen King doesn't see much change in city driving

From: "Glen King"
Date: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:33 pm
Subject: Not too much change mostly city driving though

I am sending pictures to the group of my Ram wing. I have been
testing it the last few days but as of yet I have not seen any major
increases in MPG. Most of my driving has been around town driving. I
have been keeping track of how often I travel faster than 50mph and
recording that time. But so far I have not done a long test run at
high speeds. It seems this is where most people are getting their
improvements. I have used just over 1/4 tank and I will keep you
posted as to the results once the tank is empty.

* * * *

From: "Robert A. Patterson"
Date: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:27 pm
Subject: Re: Not too much change mostly city driving though

Yes, you will have to drive the test vehicle at a minimum of 60-to-65 mph to achieve any [measurable] results.

* * * *

After looking at your photos I see that your wing-lets will have to be reversed and you will need to add some texture to the surface of the wing.

Lincoln Town car went to 56 mpg; more

From: "Robert A. Patterson"
Date: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:33 pm
Subject: Re: Ram-Implo Wing KITs

One of our research associates installed the wing on the roof of his Lincoln Town car using a luggage rack, which allowed the wing to hang over the rear window by 6-inches. He claimed his mileage improved from 17-mpg to 56-mpg.

Sal G. has an original 36-inch prototype (I believe) installed on
the roof his Volvo that enhances his mileage from 20-mpg to 30-mpg.

Jim Reeves, installed a half-baked duct-tape skin over foam wing
near the front of his midsize van and gained an 8-mpg improvement
over the normal 20-mpg

Dust Trail Diminished

From: "Robert A. Patterson"
Date: Thu Mar 3, 2005 6:03 pm
Subject: My Ram-Implo wing Project

I finished in time to take the rig for a test run and noticed several new phenomena. First, we live 3-miles in on a dirt road and using the smaller wing-lets there is usually a large cloud of dust that fly's up into to the air at 45-mph.  Well not today! Don't get me wrong there was some dust but only about 1/3-rd the usual amount and a much finer grain of particulate. Once I reached the black-top road I noticed a much smother ride and faster acceleration with far less gas peddle depression.

On the way home I met up with my step-dad driving my mom's midsize Ford Topaz. He arrived at the dirt road turn off before I did and I noticed a large cloud of dust trailing behind my mom's car, but virtually no dust behind my van despite the fact that my dad had a huge cloud of dust trailing behind him and I was right behind him.

Secondly, and no matter what read-out the digital flow tachometer has calculated per the distance driven the analog meter always shows a loss in efficiencies of about 20% or more when I lower my speed to 55-mph, not this time! Today the flow-tachometer zeroed at 45-mph and showed no loss of efficiencies.

That means that I have picked up some mileage between 55 and 45-mph that was not previously present using the larger wing-let design.

* * * *

From: "elkiv54"
Date: Fri Mar 4, 2005 6:17 am
Subject: Re: My Ram-Implo wing Project

Very interesting to hear about your trailing dust cloud observations. That means some similar observations should be valid on winter roads with snow clouds whirling behind vehicles.

Best regards from Norway

Click for enlargement
, Photo used with permission.

Note this wing was built using a smooth surface texture, and as would be predicted by Patterson, produced no net gain in fuel efficiencies, due to the lack of vacuum energy production.  The wing is currently undergoing revisions to add diffusion cell texture to the surface of the wing.  Experimentation conducted by Viggo Kleven of Norway.

Comment: Just and Airfoil?

From: "Sheldon Warman" <sheldon_warman@y...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: Ram Implosion Wing Developments ; anti-grav stuff

Putting an airfoil on a square van helps. That is OLD news.

* * * *

Response: Not hardly

From: "Robert A. Patterson"
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 2:29 PM
Subject: [ram_wing] Re: feedback: air foil = Ram Implosion Wing Developments?

If a conventional airfoil functioned as envisioned then how come every street racer complains that his/her time to the finish line takes longer and their fuel consumption increased when they added one of these glorified "go fast plastic wings" to their street rod?

The conventional airfoil was designed to push a jet-stream of air out form under it and behind the vehicle in an attempt to brake up eddy currents that trail behind the car as it moves through the air.  The problem with this concept is the fact that air has a sticky and elastic viscosity that adheres to the smooth surface of any vehicle and sheds off of the rear of the vehicle in the form of a rotating vortex.  The suction head of this vortex is the source of the drag and the vacuum energy that is utilized by race car drivers when they draft off of the displacement created by the lead car.

In most cases the "go fast plastic wings" that I have seen are installed on the cars backwards!  That is the leading edge of these wings is the smallest and the trailing edge is the largest.  Ironically with the wing positioned in this canard (backward) fashion it cannot do anything but cause drag in the form of an antagonistic vortex.  Likewise all vehicles that present a small leading profile in contrast with a larger trailing rear-section are 180-degrees out of phase with natures cyclonic properties.

No animal or egg is birthed with the small end first, its always the largest end first otherwise its breach, this is your basic building block, violate this most basic rule of Bio-engineering and everything you do will be moving antagonistically backwards (out of phase) through the environmental spectrum.

Robert A. Patterson